On Wednesday, May 18, I just dealt with loosing my last living grandparent and my “birthday-sake”, Grandma Dottie. And now this. We were on the way home from visiting family in San Jose last night when Jake says that he has something to tell me.
He proceeds to tell me that at Jacob’s birthday party (on Saturday 2 days ago) my mom went up to him to let him know that she and my dad had made the decision to put Corky to sleep. She said that she didn’t want to say anything to me because I had just lost my grandma and she knew how much I loved Corky. He told my mom that she needs to tell me because I’d be really hurt if I didn’t know. She ultimately decided not to tell me and that brings me to Jake having to tell me on the way home from San Jose.
It was to take place the next morning! Jer and Zoey were set to leave first thing in the morning. About an hour or so later I took the kids to a friends house and off to Castro Valley I went to be with Corky. I arrived with just enough time to get a few last shots of her before heading to the vet. It’s not a very good shot. She was in pretty bad shape and I think the last thing she wanted was to sit still for her picture to be taken. In the morning my mom had given her some chicken and a few other tasty things as a last meal. When we got to the vet they were very nice there. She was first given a sedative that kicked in fairly fast. After a few minutes to say goodbye, and a few snacks she ate from the vet, the vet came in to administer the last shot. Corky was already pretty much gone so the vet just stood there and waited until Corky stopped breathing for a full minute. And that was it. Like that, she was gone. It was strange. I had just been with my grandma for her last breath… and now Corky.
I’m very attached to Corky. She had the name Corky from the people we got her from, because she was born in Corcoran, CA. Ironically, we got her from my grandmas neighbor in Visalia. Now Corky can be with grandma and grandpa in the next life. She grew up sleeping in my bed. I played with her all the time. Took her everywhere. We would go on long walks around Castro Valley. I bathed her. Fed her. Brushed her. Cut the fur from around her eyes so she could see better and not look like a Sheepdog. She was a mix breed of Terrier and Poodle. She was lovable. Cuddly. Enjoyed her morning snacks. The list could go on with how great she was. It was her time though. She would’ve been 16 in September, so she lived a long, full, fun, happy life! Miss you Cork!
No comments:
Post a Comment