Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Man BBQ/Smoker

When we got married in June of 2005, we wanted to have some items that were nice. On the list of buys was a BBQ. We took some of the gift cards we had received and went to Target to buy a BBQ. I don't remember all the specs on it, but it was a decent one. Fast forward to the summer of 2010. We were hosting a BBQ at our house. Jake goes to get the BBQ going and what do ya know? It's not working?! Whatever. We had just used it the week before and there was no sign it wouldn't work. Well, we didn't know it wasn't working until everyone was already at our house. Thankfully, one of the people attending lives up the street from us. So off he went to BBQ the food at his place. We ended up cooking some of the food in our oven so the guy BBQing would be able to get back to the party faster.


Jake checked it out afterwards and couldn't make it work. It sat in our backyard. Fast forward another year to this year, summer of 2011. Same BBQ party, same people. Only in the last year Jake tried to get our old BBQ working. He replaced some parts. I think it worked once or twice and then stopped. Again, whatever. So it's June and Jake has this idea that he can get a new BBQ by saying that I got it for him as a combined gift for Father's Day and our anniversary, but that I can also benefit from it since I would be eating the food it cooked. Can't argue there. I don't remember the exact cost, I believe in the neighborhood of $500, but it was on sale when he bought it and when he got to the store he received another $75 off, so we made out pretty well.
Here is a shot of the BBQ being used for the first time. It will never look this clean again! I call it the Man BBQ, because it's huge. Jake put it together in the living room and it was the same size as our couch. It's also a combo smoker. Oh, for the record, I bought him an extra gift for Father's Day. I went to the store and spent more money that I normally would on meat for him to practice on his new BBQ with. I got a huge double pack of ribs and also a 3 pack of thick steaks. Mmmm... bring on the meat!
It's a Smoke Hollow 4 in 1. From left to right :Sear burner, Gas Grill, Charcoal Grill, Firebox (for smoking). Hard to top this one I must admit.

No comments: