Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day 2009

Well we continued our tradition and made our annual trek up to Oregon for Labor Day weekend. We've smartened up over the years and go up on Thursday and come home on Monday... WAY less traffic that way! (There was a picture that had me in it too for a family shot but I'm not sure what happened to it???) This year we went to Science Works which was about 1 hour away. We started the morning off playing in bubbles. Shyla LOVED this and was so amazed at the big bubble wall. You pull on a cord and it brings up a huge bubble wall. There are all kinds of neat way to play with it, but Shyla enjoyed blowing into it the best.There were lots of fun things to do. I didn't get pictures of it but there was a "scream room" where you could go in and scream as loud as you could and from the outside everyone could see the meter measure how loud it was. Also, there was a play area where you could take tennis balls and put them in different "tubes" and watch them and the come out in another area. This was another favorite for Shyla. We've got a couple "hands on" museums for children in our area and I'm excited to take Shyla to another one (and Jacob too as he gets older).
My face and hands, Jake's arm, and Shyla's little hands at the bottom. So proud she is! Gee, can you guess who is who in the second picture??? It scared her at first to walk "into" this big red thing, but afterwards was very excited about it (although did NOT want to do it again).
This is how Jacob spent most of the day. Hasn't everyone been on one of these? You stand on it and it spins around. You can bend down or stand straight, stick a leg out or keep it in, there are different ways to make yourself spin faster or slower. The bike was fun because there was a train on tracks above us and the faster you peddled, the faster the train went. By peddling the bike you could also power a radio, fan, and light. The more items you turned on the harder it was to peddle. I don't think I was peddling more than a couple minutes at most and I was winded afterwards and almost a little sweaty... can we say "I need more exercise"? (And I thought I was in shape having to chase Shyla around all day, haha.)
I think we've all been diagnosed with "Beetlejuice head" syndrome!After a fun day in the museum we went out to the cars for a picnic in the parking lot. Shyla and Malachi played around and especially liked the big bear and wanted to take their picture on it. It was a fun day full of MUCH MUCH MUCH needed laughter. Shyla was so proud of herself of the things she could do and we loved watching her face light up as she got to experience some things for the first time. Back at the house Shyla spent some time outside cleaning up the property. That's my girl, I guess my "cleaning" gene has transferred successfully! Until next year.......

No comments: