Saturday, December 20, 2008

Power Outage (Again)

Jake had to go to FTO training on Monday, so he was gone from about 7:45pm until a little after 5:00am. I had to get up to use the restroom (I will be so happy when I don't have to get up during the night for a bathroom break) and when I came back to bed I was having trouble falling asleep so I turned on the TV. Eventually, I got sleepy again, so I turned over and went back to sleep. I left the TV on so when Jake got home he didn't have to turn the lights on. Well, a few minutes after I turned over I realized I didn't hear the TV anymore. I looked up and saw it was off. So were the clocks. So were all the neighbors lights. Great! Power outage. Well, anyone who knows me really well knows I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to the dark. I'm a grown 30-year old woman and I'm still scared of the dark. What a loser am I? Anyhow, I kept texting Jake so I would have something to do. I lit candles so I would have some light in the room. Luckily Jake came home about 2 hours later because I was so nervous I couldn't go back to sleep. I was concerned with the power being off and Shyla couldn't have her heater on that she'd get cold, so Jake and I went in and added another layer of clothes on her (she will not sleep with ANYTHING in her crib, so no blanket to help keep her warm). Shortly after he came home... the power came back on. Needless to say, the next day I was very tired.

Fast forward to last night. About 10:30pm... power went out AGAIN and the gas too! We found some flashlights and candles and got them lit. We sat in bed, had a snack, and talked for a little bit. Then we brushed our teeth and went to sleep. I figured the lights would come back on in a few hours like they had earlier in the week... I was wrong. When we woke up this morning there was still no power. It was only about 54 DEGREES IN THE HOUSE!!!!!!!!! The alarm box to the house was beeping all loud and high pitched since there was no power going to it. Poor dogs (who've been sleeping in the laundry room since it's been SO COLD HERE!) had to listen to that all night. Had I known it was going off I'd have shut it off way sooner! I called PG&E and found that the power outage was due to "damaged equipment" and we'd have power/gas restored between 11am and 1pm. It was about 8am and I was worried all our food was going to go bad in the fridge. Lucky for us about 8:30am the power came back on.

Here is a shorter version of what happened last night:




UPDATE: Jake talked with one of our neighbors and they said that last night there was a car in our area doing "doughnuts" in his car and he hit a power poll causing the outage. I guess that's what PG&E meant when they said the outage was caused by "damaged equipment". Must people be so stupid when they drive? I was really cold last night, thanks a lot!