Saturday, May 31, 2008

Emergency Preparedness Fair

Today there was a stake Emergency Preparedness Fair at our church building. We arrived around 11:00am and there were already a lot of people there. More people started showing up around 11:30am. We started off inside the gym where there were a bunch of tables set up with different community volunteers that were handing out information on the American Red Cross, ways to cook with gluten, making 72-hour kits, fire safety, storing family history information, etc. There was also a blood drive going on, but Jake had training tonight and I wasn't up for it this time around, so neither of us participated. We did get Shyla fingerprinted. They don't keep any information, but they gave a print out with her picture that you can use to fill in important information and also keep a hair or fingernail clipping. I know that everyone says "it'll never happen to my child", but we all know that "it CAN happen to your child". There are too many un-nice people out there.

Phil Mastrolia being a brave soul donating blood.

Playing in the children's room. There were activities that were great for older children, not so much for 16 month olds.

We made our way outside, but not without stopping by the food. Once outside, we got to see a K-9 demonstration by Jake's soon-to-be co-workers, the Concord Police Department. Shyla got to take a picture inside the police car, and also in the front and back of an ambulance. I was really hoping there would be a firetruck, but I guess there was a scheduling mistake and the firetruck never made it.

Suiting up.

Meet Alk. He's from Germany.

Shyla and Taylor (Tay Tay) watching the people at the Haz Mat truck.

The weather was nice and it was a fun day. Even though Shyla isn't old enough to remember this day I'm sure by next year she'll start to remember a lot more! I'm excited for all her new experiences.

1 comment:

Fenima said...

I love emergency preparedness stuffs.
BTW, Shyla is getting cuter and cuter , I love her picture coming through the little door.