Thursday, May 12, 2011

Minnow (5/2-5/12)

These photos were taken on 5/2, 5/3, 5/10, and 5/12. We enrolled Shyla into a swim class. She was a Minnow. Yes, we have a pool and can teach her at home, but we wanted her to get the social aspect as well as the learning and listening to others aspect. She did really well and LOVED her class. The first 1 or 2 classes she was a bit apprehensive, but in her defense the pool was really big.


The pictures below show her dunking herself in the water, kicking, floating on her back, and in the last one she was telling her instructor that she can “do it herself and doesn’t need help”. The instructor still had to give her some assistance or else she’d sink! Each time her hands touched her, Shyla would push them off and say, “I can do it myself”. Very independent. IMG_9663IMG_9675IMG_9618IMG_9681Jacob and I sat on the sides and watched Shyla succeed. He ran around and pointed out all the babies to me. He even let me take some pictures of him!IMG_9659IMG_9644IMG_9695IMG_9690IMG_9698This was Safety Day. The kids got to wear life jackets and jump into the pool from the side. Shyla liked her new instructor for the day, Josh. When we got home, she played a game where she was “Jackie”, a student teacher from her preschool, and Jacob was to be “Josh”. I thought it was cute. And it’s a step up from when she played “Jackie (Shyla) and Vanessa (Jacob)” with the little guy. At least this time he got to play a male part!IMG_9662IMG_9661IMG_9651IMG_9646Learning to swim is one of those skills that once you learn it you never forget. I want my kids to learn to swim because they could be at someone’s house and fall in their pool. That happened at a house just a few blocks away. They were having a party and for a few minutes no one was paying attention and a little boy that was there for the party went outside. He fell in the pool and drowned. No one knew. Most kids that drown from falling in a pool you never hear splashing because they are curious and leaning over the edge to put their hands in the water. I’ve seen my son do this a lot. They then loose their balance and tip into the water. Since they can’t tread water they sink in and drown. Even if my kids don’t become avid swimmers, I want them to learn the basics of swimming to stay afloat.

1 comment:

Merilee said...

I agree that swimming is an important skill to learn. Ashilene will be taking a Mommy & Me Swim Class later this month. Hopefully the weather improves before then.;)