Thursday, May 5, 2011

Proud Mommy Moment

In no particular order, today I:

-Fed the kids 3 meals, including snacks, and cleaned up
-Pull all the weeds and trimmed a large bush in the backyard
-Put away clothes that don't fit Jacob yet that have been piling up
-Washed dishes and even put some away
-Watered my vegetable plants
-Picked up toys and "stuff" around the house
-Bathed both kids
-Gave Jacob a haircut

Shyla also really surprised me today. Here's her "productive" list:


-In the morning, she woke up, went to the bathroom and gave Bob Bob his morning treats, went into Jacob's room, got him out of his crib, AND changed his poopy diaper!


-In the afternoon, I fed the kids lasagna for lunch and went outside to water my vegetable plants. When the kids finished eating (while I was still outside), Shyla cleaned up her spot, wiped Jacob clean (or as clean as he could be), got him out of his booster seat, and they came out to make sure I was okay in the garden. Shyla and I then ate some strawberries together while we were out there.


-In the evening, after baths, I was putting Jacob in his pj's, and Shyla comes in from the bath. She had washed her hair. Before I had a chance to really say much to her she also went potty, brushed her teeth and hair, put on lotion, and her pj's... ALL WITHOUT BEING ASKED! OH, and after I went to the bathroom and came out, she was at the hamsters cage. She had turned his house over (he likes to turn it upside down), filled up his food dish (when all that's left are the tiny alfalfa pieces, he also like to tip that over), gave him another treat, and was in the process of putting him in his plastic ball to run around. We worked on some of her pages from her preschool workbook (AKA "homework") without fussing. And when I said it was time for bed without a story because we spent so much time on her "homework", she went to her bed without a fuss. This was of course after she put Bob Bob back in his cage so he could go to bed too!


I thought I had a great day, but after writing this post I'd have to say that Shyla takes the prize for being the most productive! I was so proud of her. At the end of the day I reflected on all she did throughout the day and all by herself. I know she's not going to always be this helpful, but I know she'll always be this independent. She always has been independent. As a mom I'd prefer her to be a bit more "needy". I want her to come to me for acceptance and want me around for security. But independence is a wonderful quality to have. If I had to pick from the two, I'd rather her be independent than needy and always needing me to do things for her. I know kids like that and I'm glad she isn't that way. Not that it's a bad thing. I'm just glad she's different.






She's not quite 4 1/2 and growing up much too fast for me, and even though I want her to stay my little girl forver, I'm so proud of who she is becoming!

No comments: