Thursday, May 27, 2010

Cake Making

Not too long ago I posted about "just for today" where in no fewer words it's saying us parents need to "let go" once in a while and let our children grow. I took the plunge and I let Shyla make her own PB&J sandwich. She LOVED it! Getting to see her face light up when I let her stick the knife in the jar and when I told her it was ok to lick it when she was done... priceless!

I decided to try it again. This time I let Shyla frost a cake... on her own. I did the sides since they were a little harder, but she used her own knife, got the frosting on it, and frosted it herself. I let her put red and brown sprinkles on too. She really enjoyed that part. It turned out pretty good. It's hard to say what her favorite part was, but I think it was getting to lick the knife at the end. I think I should make a conscious effort to let her "do her own thing without my "be carefuls", "watch outs", "don't make messes" in the background at least once a week. It's fulfilling and rewarding for both of us!

No comments: