Friday, June 19, 2009

2 Week Checkup

Jacob had his 2 week checkup today, even though he'll be 3 weeks old on Monday. We took him to a new doctor that I was referred to from a friend. Shyla doesn't have to go back until she's 3, but I'm going to change her to this doctor. He's MUCH more people friendly than the other doctor and that is a trait I look for in my doctor choices. This new doctor takes time to answer your questions and doesn't rush through the appointment.

He now weighs 6lbs, 8.6oz and is 19 1/2" long. I don't completely trust the way the nurses measure a baby's length. She has me lay Jacob on the table, she puts a mark on the paper by his head and then has me stretch him out and then she puts a mark on the paper by his foot. She measures the 2 marks. Problem is I had to point out that he moved while she was marking the paper. Her response? "Oh, oops." And then she puts another mark. I'd rather just measure him at home and tell the doctor how long he is.

He's in the 4% for weight so we have to go back in a week and a half for a weight check just to make sure he's growing properly. We had to go to several weight checks for Shyla so I know the routine. He's in the 8% for length, though we know how I feel about that.

The doctor said everything was looking good but he does have a little congestion in his chest. Shyla got sick last week and still has a cough and runny nose. After she first got sick, I got sick, then Jacob started to sneeze a lot, and this morning Jake said he's not feeling well either. I'm not used to having everyone in the house sick at the same time, though I know with kids we have to get used to it.

I'm not sure when, but he mentioned he wanted to have his birthmark checked out. Nothing to worry about, he just wants to make a note of it and that way they can monitor it in case it ever starts to change size/shape/color/etc.

No shots until his 2 month appointment!

3 comments:

Heather said...

i think it's so dumb how the measure babies. they do the same thing for andrew (well they did up until his last appointment). make a mark at the top of his head and then the bottom of his feet. and they never hold still. at one time they told us andrew was on the 95% percentile for height (and this was at like his 5 month check up). i was like, yeah right.

Washington Family said...

What a darling little guy!! Does he have a birth mark on his forehead? I couldn't quite tell....
Our Jordy has one on her forehead and a heart shaped one on the back of her arm. I love it, it's too cute! Congrats by the way, he's beautiful!

Fenima said...

Happy Anniversary, glad you guys had a fun night. It's probably harder now to go on a date since you just had a baby. And Baby Jacob is oh so sweet.