Thursday, May 21, 2009

Potty Training & Dad in Italy

POTTY TRAINING:
This new adventure has been going exceptionally well with Shyla. She now is potty trained at home (naps and bedtime excluded). The only times she has accidents, and they are few and far between, are when she is playing outside and refuses to come in to use her potty. Even when I know she has to go I let her say "no" and keep playing. She quickly is reminded that she probably should've come in to go potty.

We recently ventured out to a couple other houses "diaperless" to see how it went. No accidents!
Last night, we went to meet my mom in Castro Valley for dinner. We thought it a good time to test out a little bit longer trip. There was no accident on the way there. She used the potty before we left for dinner. She even used the potty at the restaurant! She's turning into such a big girl I can't believe it. I look at her sometimes and just wonder where the time has gone.

Soon it'll be naptime training, which I know entails many more clothing and bedding changes. I'm waiting until she wakes up from her naps "dry" more often before I attempt the next step.

DAD IN ITALY (short version):
I wish it was for more of a good reason, but my dad has been in Italy since May 3rd and is scheduled to come home on the 29th. My aunt had been diagnosed with breast cancer several months back and due to her age (a few years from 80) was only able to be given low doses of chemo. My dad, and consequently myself, only a short time ago found out about it. By then, we were told the cancer had spread from her breast to her lungs. Late April she was scheduled for surgery and during the testing process beforehand it was found that the cancer has also spread to her brain!

All the doctors could do really was "make her as comfortable as possible" and send her home so essentially wait for the inevitable. My dad spoke with his other sister and was told that at the time the oldest sister was not able to recognize everyone. It was obvious she was going quickly. So my dad that weekend got a plance ticket and left for Italy. It would be good for him to be able to see his sister one last time, but also to be able to spend time with his family over there.

Well, on Saturday, May 9th (day before Mother's Day) she passed. My dad said that he was glad to be able to see her one last time and I'm glad he was able to see her too.

For those who don't know my dad, his brother, and their parents came to America when my dad was just 15 years old. The 2 sisters stayed back in Italy. All the children, grandchildren, etc. from those 2 sisters are all still in Italy. I hope to go there one day and meet everyone (I've met a few over the years) but I'm deathly afraid to fly and since it's a really long flight needing a layover (which means 2 take off and landings each way) I haven't been yet. I know I'm crazy, but I really don't like to fly!

2 comments:

Delirious said...

The hardest thing for me about flying that long is sitting without being able to stretch. My legs get really restless. It's also not easy to fly with kids. I would love to go to Italy though, especially if I had family there like you do! :)

Kings said...

ITALY! oh man what i would give to have family there, and an excuse to go there all the time :)