So I thought I'd do a "Remember When" posting about when I went into labor with our precious Shyla. When I was 37 weeks (well only a couple hours past the 37 week mark) along I went into labor. Looking back, it's possible I went into labor earlier in the afternoon/evening, but I didn't really feel too much different than I had on other days so I didn't know. I had been having Braxton Hicks contractions from 4 months on (same with the second pregnancy) and I'm thinking it prevented me in a way from noticing when labor started since I was accustomed to the feeling already.
Here's how it went down in the final minutes:
2:15am: I woke up with the feeling I had to use the restroom and my stomach cramping (not off and on like a contraction, but constant). Actually it was more of a stabbing pain than cramping. This seemed somewhat normal to me since that is how I would feel every time I had to use the restroom for the last couple months of pregnancy. So I went in to use the restroom. I spent the next half hour trying to go back to bed, but every time I stood up or moved I felt like I wet myself. (I know most of you are thinking "duh, your water broke", however in my defense it wasn't obvious to me. It wasn't "water gushing out", or even a "trickle", it was just a drip here and there so I thought it was those muscles were just not stong at the moment since I had a baby pressing down on them...boy was I wrong!) Since our due date was still 3 weeks away and the pain was constant, I didn't think I was in labor, I thought maybe something worse.
2:45am: I decided to lie down and see if that helped. I fell over on the pillows in pain and woke Jake up by poking him in the back. He quickly got out of bed and got the phone to call Labor/Delivery, which surprisingly wasn't even on my mind (smart guy… if we waited any longer we'd have never made it to the hospital in time).
2:50am: Jake is on the phone with the hospital. They asked how far apart the contractions were but he just said it wasn't contractions, just a constant pain. The lady wanted to talk to me and asked a few questions. Then she asked "Do you think you need to come in?" I said I don't know and gave Jake the phone. Jake says to me "Do you want to go in?" Now, I'm thinking it's going to be nothing so I say "I don't know" and started crying from the pain. Jake tells the lady "we're coming in". (Smart move Jake).
3:15am: As we're about to head out the door I look up to see Jake grabbing the carseat and bags for the hospital and I'm thinking "He's overreacting, they are going to tell me it's gas pains or something small and send me home".
3:20am: We're in the car ready to go. The pain is so intense at this point I don't know how I'm going to make the 20-minute drive to Walnut Creek.
3:24am: On the freeway I could tell the pains were now coming and going. I think to myself "Uh oh, I just may be in labor!" I asked Jake what time it was. (I figured if I am in labor I want to know how far apart the contractions are). He says 3:24. I asked again. He says 3:26. I ask again. He says 3:28. We are about to exit the freeway I ask again. He says 3:29! At this point I feel some water come out and I know that what I felt earlier was my water breaking only the baby's head was in such a position that it allowed only a "trickle" to come out. From this point to the hospital the urge to push came on so strong I didn't think we'd make it to the hospital.
3:40am: We pull into the emergency parking and Jake runs to get a wheelchair. We rush up to labor/delivery and they check us into triage. The doctor checks me and says "she's ready NOW". Next thing I know I'm being rushed into the delivery room. We had an entire 8 minutes (give or take) from triage to birth. I know what you're all thinking… did she get an epidural? The answer is no. There was no time. They weren't even set up and ready for me things were moving along so fast that each time I had a contraction, the doctor told me NOT to push, so #1 there was less risk of tearing and #2… they just weren't ready.
3:53am: Baby Shyla Marie Bess is born.
I did need to get a couple stitches so I received pitocin to stop the bleeding (which didn't work). I had to take a Vicodin pill orally since I didn't get an IV (that didn't work). I got a shot of morphine in my hip (that didn't work). I received at least 6 shots of Lidocaine in the area to be stitched (those didn't work). SO… needless to say… I was stitched internally for about a half hour with no pain medication so I felt every stitch and tying off. There are NO words to describe the pain that comes with being stitched down there with no meds!!!
Present Day:
It's almost midnight and I know I should be in bed. I've been feeling contractions about as often as usual though each day they seem to be feeling stronger. The last couple weeks my tummy has been getting bigger, but in a different way than Shyla. I'm sticking out more "shelf-like" this time around. When I read to Shyla her bedtime story I have her laying to the side and I rest the book on my tummy. It's quite amusing to me. The baby has also been moving a lot more than he had been. I'm not sure if that's any indication he's coming soon or not.
I won't be worried if he wants to come now... or anytime before his due date. I'm sad the "pregnant" time is coming to an end, but am certainly anxious to meet the little guy!!!
Here's how it went down in the final minutes:
2:15am: I woke up with the feeling I had to use the restroom and my stomach cramping (not off and on like a contraction, but constant). Actually it was more of a stabbing pain than cramping. This seemed somewhat normal to me since that is how I would feel every time I had to use the restroom for the last couple months of pregnancy. So I went in to use the restroom. I spent the next half hour trying to go back to bed, but every time I stood up or moved I felt like I wet myself. (I know most of you are thinking "duh, your water broke", however in my defense it wasn't obvious to me. It wasn't "water gushing out", or even a "trickle", it was just a drip here and there so I thought it was those muscles were just not stong at the moment since I had a baby pressing down on them...boy was I wrong!) Since our due date was still 3 weeks away and the pain was constant, I didn't think I was in labor, I thought maybe something worse.
2:45am: I decided to lie down and see if that helped. I fell over on the pillows in pain and woke Jake up by poking him in the back. He quickly got out of bed and got the phone to call Labor/Delivery, which surprisingly wasn't even on my mind (smart guy… if we waited any longer we'd have never made it to the hospital in time).
2:50am: Jake is on the phone with the hospital. They asked how far apart the contractions were but he just said it wasn't contractions, just a constant pain. The lady wanted to talk to me and asked a few questions. Then she asked "Do you think you need to come in?" I said I don't know and gave Jake the phone. Jake says to me "Do you want to go in?" Now, I'm thinking it's going to be nothing so I say "I don't know" and started crying from the pain. Jake tells the lady "we're coming in". (Smart move Jake).
3:15am: As we're about to head out the door I look up to see Jake grabbing the carseat and bags for the hospital and I'm thinking "He's overreacting, they are going to tell me it's gas pains or something small and send me home".
3:20am: We're in the car ready to go. The pain is so intense at this point I don't know how I'm going to make the 20-minute drive to Walnut Creek.
3:24am: On the freeway I could tell the pains were now coming and going. I think to myself "Uh oh, I just may be in labor!" I asked Jake what time it was. (I figured if I am in labor I want to know how far apart the contractions are). He says 3:24. I asked again. He says 3:26. I ask again. He says 3:28. We are about to exit the freeway I ask again. He says 3:29! At this point I feel some water come out and I know that what I felt earlier was my water breaking only the baby's head was in such a position that it allowed only a "trickle" to come out. From this point to the hospital the urge to push came on so strong I didn't think we'd make it to the hospital.
3:40am: We pull into the emergency parking and Jake runs to get a wheelchair. We rush up to labor/delivery and they check us into triage. The doctor checks me and says "she's ready NOW". Next thing I know I'm being rushed into the delivery room. We had an entire 8 minutes (give or take) from triage to birth. I know what you're all thinking… did she get an epidural? The answer is no. There was no time. They weren't even set up and ready for me things were moving along so fast that each time I had a contraction, the doctor told me NOT to push, so #1 there was less risk of tearing and #2… they just weren't ready.
3:53am: Baby Shyla Marie Bess is born.
I did need to get a couple stitches so I received pitocin to stop the bleeding (which didn't work). I had to take a Vicodin pill orally since I didn't get an IV (that didn't work). I got a shot of morphine in my hip (that didn't work). I received at least 6 shots of Lidocaine in the area to be stitched (those didn't work). SO… needless to say… I was stitched internally for about a half hour with no pain medication so I felt every stitch and tying off. There are NO words to describe the pain that comes with being stitched down there with no meds!!!
Present Day:
It's almost midnight and I know I should be in bed. I've been feeling contractions about as often as usual though each day they seem to be feeling stronger. The last couple weeks my tummy has been getting bigger, but in a different way than Shyla. I'm sticking out more "shelf-like" this time around. When I read to Shyla her bedtime story I have her laying to the side and I rest the book on my tummy. It's quite amusing to me. The baby has also been moving a lot more than he had been. I'm not sure if that's any indication he's coming soon or not.
I won't be worried if he wants to come now... or anytime before his due date. I'm sad the "pregnant" time is coming to an end, but am certainly anxious to meet the little guy!!!
4 comments:
Good luck to you! I hope this time you make it to the hospital too! You can go to the Antioch hospital now, can't you? That sure would save time!
good luck!! you are going to do great.
Wow that is quite a story!!! It actually sounds like your labor wasn't too long, but I guess you were really used to those contractions! Good luck with #2!!!
i loved reading this whole description! i can't wait to hear this new one! i'm guessing it went very much along the same lines! wow! 8 minutes and done! go girl! congrats on little jacob! oh, to comment on below pics! i love her cute little bum and tying her shoes! i also love the crazy hair and her little big girl bed! does she like that bed? did she adjust to it well! i love those ones! there was another pic i loved but i can't remeber now! anyway, thanks for blogging! i'll be back here soon to see pics of the little man!
Post a Comment