Monday, January 5, 2009

Shyla's Sign Language

Here's a current list of the words Shyla can sign:

People: dad, mom, grandpa, grandma

Edibles: eat, drink, cereal, banana, cracker, cookie, apple, water, juice, milk

Animals: cat, dog, lion, fish, horse, cow, bird/chicken (same sign), frog, pig, monkey

Other: baby, more, please, thank you, i love you, baby signing time (name of her new video), diaper, potty, finished/all done, where, book, hurt (pain), ball, tree, car/bike, compact (this is her own version, she has a compact that holds blush, if I were to put blush in it), shoe, sock, star

UPDATE on 1/10/09: Here are a couple new ones: POOP (she knew this one, but I forgot until she did it), FLOWER, she recently learned PLANE (she makes the sound when she signs this one), and BEAR (she growls).

Here is Shyla dancing to the "Diaper Dance" in her video she got from Gramma and Grampa Bess for Christmas. She LOVES it and wants to watch it all the time. She'll come up to us and say/sign "Baby Signing Time", the name of the video. It's hard to see, but she keeps signing diaper at the end. SORRY it's really quiet, it's off Jake's cell phone. I'll have to get a better video soon, so stay tuned and check back for a better video.




We are continuing each day to teach her new signs. She will say and sign most of the words she knows. There are some words that the sign is too hard for her right now so we'll wait on some of those.

Lately, we've been working on A, B, and C. Letter A she has down. Letter B looks more like a 5. Letter C is a lot like a 5 too. Getting her to curve her hand is proving she has some homework (but in a good way).

3 comments:

Dawnette and Mark Coltrin said...

Hmmm... I noticed that you haven't taught her ZEBRA... that should have been the first she should have learned. BEST ANIMAL EVER

Lindi said...

That is cool you keep teaching her more. She knows a LOT!!

Fenima said...

I love sign language and wish I have time to learn it myself.