Saturday, October 25, 2008

2008 DeafNation Expo

A little history...

DeafNation Expo is the foremost touring trade show for, by, and about deaf people. DeafNation provides exhibitions and entertainment around the United States at no charge to the public. Our philosophy is that free admission brings a diversity of attendees who can share our culture, needs, language, and information.

The DeafNation Expo began in 2003, starting with 6 Expos. Today, DeafNation hosts 14 Expos annually, having attracted in excess of 200,000 attendees since.


Most of you know I am a BIG advocate for learing sign language. I got a major in Speech Pathology and Audiology and at one point I was minoring in sign language. I never finished. Jake is working his way into law enforcement and I have been able to express the need for learning sign language. We are taking classes currently. One of our assignments for class is to attend "deaf activities". We went to 2008 DeafNation Expo on Saturday and had a good time. We met people who came from Sacramento and LA.

There was a game show we watched called Accept, Not Accept. It's the same idea as Deal, or No Deal. The lady playing won a couple gift cards that totaled $50. Not bad.

There were a lot of signs that I didn't know, but I was still able to follow along. You'd be surprised how much sign language you already know, but don't know you know.


We got T-shirts and Shyla got a bib. We're such "tourists".

Jake's shirt.

My shirt.

3 comments:

Rachael said...

The bib with Shyla's name is my favorite! I think it is great that you are teaching her to sign and continuing your advocacy of sign language.

Lehis said...

That looks so cool! Aaron took 4-years of sign in college. It all started when his Dad started going deaf, he decided he'd better learn it. Then he liked it so much he just kept going (even after his Dad passed away). We attended a few activites: Church, deaf culture community nights, game days, seminars, etc... Aaron LOVED it. And I always thought it was so interesting. Church was amazing. Since I don't sign I didn't understand everything, but I understood enough. We'll have to make a note of it and go next year. I think Aaron misses it.

Kat G. said...

Very cool. All my kids know basic ASL. It really paid off when they were able to communicate with a little boy getting his haircut. His mom was so grateful that there were people "out there" who learning it.