Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Singing Flag- Concord, CA

I think it’s a tradition now for our little family to attend Singing Flag in Concord, CA for 4th of July. It’s a free entertainment show in a local park put on by a large non-denominational church in the area. We went for the first time last year… click HERE (posting from July 4, 2010).


Same as last year, there was a child play area called FunZoneUSA. This year there was a new addition of a canopy cover with misting hoses attached. We loved those since it was so hot! The kids got to play around on the bouncy slides (there were several large ones to choose from) and Shyla got her face painted. IMG_0596 IMG_0607 IMG_0610 IMG_0611At one point Jacob decided he’d had enough and became Mr. Pouty Pants… and they weren’t square! :-) It was hot so I don’t blame him. IMG_0617 IMG_0618We decided enough was enough and we walked back to our “spot”. There were about 4000+ people in attendance, but luckily we knew right where our spot was. Jake was working a detail in the area so he was able to lay out our blanket ahead of time and we got a pretty good spot. We took the food we brought and moved to a more shady area to eat dinner by the playground. The kids ate and then played for a while on the playground. When the show was getting ready to start we headed back to lay on our blanket. IMG_0649 IMG_0651 IMG_0671 IMG_0694 IMG_0696 After the show came FIREWORKS! I’m a little sad that nowadays fireworks in pretty much every county in our area are illegal. I know people still set them off even knowing they aren’t supposed to. Shhh… but I may just have to buy my kids some sparklers one of these years because I don’t want them to grow up never having the chance to play with them. It’s ironic too because all the counties/cities sell fireworks… it’s just illegal to use them??? Oookay. I remember every year having a big BBQ gathering with some of their friends and their children at my parents house. They live on a corner with only 1 neighbor and a deadend street right by them so we could light off fireworks and not be bothered. My favorites were “buzzers”, I used to like watching them bounce off the gutter, and “sparklers”. The “waterfall” fireworks came in a close third. Memories. I hope to have happy memories with my kids at they grow up. I want them to be as excited about the 4th of July as me. It’s one of my favorite holidays. It’s got a great meaning. Fun decorations. Usually people have BBQ’s with yummy food. You take the day off work to rest, eat, and enjoy each other’s company. IMG_0734 IMG_0733 IMG_0731 IMG_0732IMG_0723Happy 4th of July everyone!Checkered Shyla4th of July_1

No comments: