Friday, July 8, 2011

Rest. In. Peace. (Grandma Dotties Burial Services)

Grandma’s services were on July 8, 2011. It was a Friday. It was hot. I wished it was on our birthday (June 26th), but it was a Sunday and the cemetery wasn’t open that day. Also, we had to do it at a time all the immediate family could be together. It just wouldn’t feel the same if someone missed it. There’s no way I would’ve missed it. Jacob was tired from the heat and fell asleep. My cousin Ryan put his hat on Jacob. I think it makes him look handsome, don’t ya think?IMG_0757Only immediate family was in attendance for the burial. Her two children and their families, Aunt Helen (she was married to grandma’s brother Junior), and Rose and Albert (who were friends with my grandparents longer than I’ve been alive. They help to look out for the people I love. To me, they ARE, without a doubt, family). IMG_0743My brother, cousin, and uncle placing grandmas urn in the ground. IMG_0787We all put a little dirt in before the groundskeeper filled in the rest.IMG_0798 IMG_0807IMG_0808In the next photo, Shyla is explaining to Jacob the story in the picture. The November before Shyla turned 1, all of grandmas grandchildren and great grandchildren were together for Thanksgiving. We thought it would be a good idea to go to the cemetery and take a group photo with grandpa. I got the pictures printed, put in frames and gave them to a few family members. The first thing grandma says when she sees it is “I’m not even dead yet!” When you look at the picture, because of the angle, it looks like we’re there surrounding HER side of the plot. Oops! :) I was hoping to get another group shot with Jacob and now that grandma is buried with grandpa, but time didn’t allow for it. One day we’ll get it.


I’m not sure where the original photo is. I have to look for it. I’ll post it when I find it since it’s hard to see in this photo. You can barely see little Shyla sitting on the headstone. She was wearing pink. IMG_0779 After the services we went to Fugazzi’s to eat lunch. It was a restaurant frequented by grandma. Monica (Ryan’s wife) made grandma’s special cake. Mmm! It is so good. Seriously. I’m not just saying that because she’s my grandma. It really is the best cake. She marinates it in pudding for like a day. Did I mention it’s really good??? Now, me and Cammy (Cameron John) are left to celebrate our birthdays. It will never be the same without my grandma to celebrate with me. I will never forget grandpa leaving us on the same day 11 years ago. I miss them and love them. And always will.IMG_0811

No comments: