Monday, February 28, 2011

Misc February Happenings

The kids and I went on a walk. When we got home I was taking some fun pictures. I noticed there were some ladybugs in the grass, so I went to take pictures of them. The closer I was to the grass, the more I saw that there were a bunch of ladybugs around. Shyla found them for me and I put them in one spot to take a group shot. They weren’t cooperating… but these two were! SPRING IS IN THE AIR!IMG_8698It’s been a little chilly, okay a lot chilly, so all the dogs were in the house. Mesa thinks she is a big dog. The big dogs are looking at her yapping away like, “Yeah, okay little one, whatever you say!” Even after this picture, the big dogs didn’t budge. Mesa eventually stopped pestering them and went to sleep. IMG_9079 I’m excited that Shyla loves to play piano. Shortly after we got the piano I taught her how to play Hot Cross Buns. She plays it over and over. She also opens her Primary songbook so she can play and sing along. It’s really quite endearing. I may be ahead of myself, but I’m going to teach her how to read music. Just simple stuff. It’s a little like riding a bike. Once you learn the basics of reading music you never really forget. DSC01458Ahh the smoker. This was one of Jake’s projects. He found a beat up old smoker at a house a few months back he was working on and brought it home. He took a weekend to sand, paint, and put it together. It turned out rather nicely. He’s used it a few times and for Christmas I got him a cover for it. Below, he’s giving another go at ribs. We were taunted by the delicious smell all day!IMG_8783I’m usually the one behind the camera, but I have to give Jake credit for this one. It’s hard to tell from the picture, but Shyla and I have on the same tinted lip gloss. It seems like a mundane thing to write about, however I do it because I want to say that I enjoy that she wants to be like me. “They” say the strongest influence in a child’s life is the parent of the same sex. That would be moi. She always wants to wear boots if I have on boots, makeup if I wear makeup, IMG_9093Shyla and Jacob were taking a bath and Jake was at school. The kids were splashing water all over the place (as usual). I turned around to get a towel, literally just outside the bathroom in the hall, and that’s when it happened. The kids were splashing so much that Jacob fell and hit his chin on the side of the bathtub. Must these things always happen when Jake is not home? I knew it wasn’t too bad, but with the distraction of the kids wet in the tub and Jacob dripping blood all over, I called our friends that live near us to come take a look. One stayed with Shyla and the other came with me to take Jacob to the ER.


I didn’t realize it until we went to leave for the hospital that Jake had the carseat in the car… with him… at school. I had a spare carseat in the garage, but it was for an infant. Oh well, in the carseat my oversized child went. It was either that or do nothing.


I had a feeling it just needed a butterfly bandaid, but just in case he needed stiches I took him anyway. Turned out he had little tape strips put on to close the wound and liquid glue over the top of that. Doc said to leave it on for a few days, though it came off a little over a day later. There will be a little scar for storytelling when he’s older. Everyone I know has some little scar either on their chin or forehead or some place on their face. DSC01508Yes, we’ve added a hamster to our family. His name is officially Uncle Sponge Bob Bob. We call him Bob for short. Jacob called him Bob Bob because that’s what he called Sponge Bob Squarepants. Shyla was confused about that because she has an Uncle Bob that she calls Uncle Bobby. So we blended the two. Sometimes we call him Bob Bob, other times just Bob. IMG_8616Watching Toy Story. I guess it got a little intense. Who knew Toy Story could be this intense?IMG_8724It’s been so rainy lately, but there’s finally light at the end of the tunnel! I mean color. In the form of a rainbow. It was really pretty. Short lived, but pretty. About a minute after I took this picture it started to rain. IMG_9073

No comments: