Saturday, July 10, 2010

Green Thumb

I’m counting this year as my “trial” year. I plant a garden each year and each year I run into some type of issue. This year, once I discovered I needed to water more/deeper, was getting my plants to bear food. The leaves grew big, no really, they were gigantic! But no food was growing. There would be tons of flowers blooming and then they’d dry up and fall off. IMG_6380 IMG_6367 IMG_6368 IMG_6372

 

 

 

 

 

After reading some stuff on the internet about tomatoes, I started cutting off some of the larger leaves and branches and VOILA! The veggies started growing! Who knew all I had to do was pick some branches and leaves off? Okay, I’m sure some of you knew that, but I didn’t. IMG_6378

However, my issues don’t end there. Some of the stuff is growing well, while others are growing small veggies and then they stop growing and/or fall off. I’m not sure if it was a little late on some of the plants and maybe I needed to pick the leaves earlier in the planting season. In any event, I got more this year out of the garden than I got last year, and with all the things I’ve learned this year, I’m sure my garden next year will be FABULOUS!

I’m also planning on changing out the garden after the summer into a winter garden. I’ve never grown winter veggies before so it will be interesting. If I take what I’ve learned during this spring veggie season I’m sure to have a successful run at my winter veggies.

No comments: