Friday, June 25, 2010

Random Stories

I didn't get a cake for my birthday. Someone had told me that I should eat all my cake and not share with anyone, but then said it was okay to share with the kids. I told her I didn't get a cake for my birthday. So the next day at church she brought me a large cupcake! As soon as I got home I opened it up to eat it. I was almost successful enough at not sharing, but then Shyla came along. And well, at least she let me have a bite! She ate most of it. I got some of it. I was happy to share it with her because she was happy to eat it. That's part of what being a mom is about, right?One afternoon I was putting Jacob down for a nap. Shyla had come upstairs with us and I told her that she had to play quietly while I was putting Jacob down. She said okay and trotted off. After I got Jacob to sleep, I came out of the room quietly, but there was no Shyla around. I went to look for her downstairs, no Shyla. I checked outside, still no Shyla. In the garage? Nope. I went back upstairs and checked in our bedroom, and around the corner, ever so quietly playing in my drawer that has makeup, this adorable face looks up at me, and just smiles. The makeup was definitely darker in person. She's got on black eye shadow under her eyes, lipstick on the outside of her lips, and as always, blush on her cheeks. I have a bag of old makeup that I want to give to her to play with. That way I don't care if she breaks the lipstick or mixes eyeshadow colors. I guess now would be a good time to give it to her. Jacob is learning to feed himself with a utencil. This started off with me feeding Jacob some carrots with a fork. I wanted to see what happened if I gave him the fork. At first he just looked at it, then at me, then back at the fork. I showed him how to poke the carrots and then put it in his mouth. That part will take some time, but I'd give him the fork with carrots on it and he put it in his mouth on his own. Then he'd hand me back the fork. He's learning to take something, hand it to you, reach out, and take it back, hand it back to you, and again, take it back. Or maybe he's giving it back to me and thinking, "I wish mommy would poke those carrots faster, I'm hungry!"When Shyla was a baby, she used to scream when the vacuum was on. I'd push it towards her and she'd run away. Jacob is quite the opposite. Lately, it seems when I vacuum, I'll turn around and he's sitting there watching me. He likes to get in front of me too and sit and watch. I'll vacuum all around him until he eventually moves over about a foot to let me vacuum in the spot he was just in. He's becoming my little helper.

No comments: