It feels like only yesterday when I first met you. First gave you a bath. First helped you to stand. Your tiny finger and toes were the highlight of my day. When I would hold you in my arms and rock you to sleep, my heart wanted to melt.
As we approach the date that Jacob will turn 1, and recently, Shyla, you turned 3, I often wonder where the time has gone. I try to capture every moment, big or small. I want to remember your face when you saw Christmas presents under the tree, or how your eyes light up when you see a bug in the grass. We are all gone too soon from this earth, but while I'm here I want to remember everything about you. If I ever forget a memory, or how I felt on a particular outing, all I have to do it look at the pictures taken and I can instantly be taken back to that moment. You two are growing up way too fast for me. I wanted you to stay little babies forever, but Shyla and Jacob, you're proving to me that no matter how much I want it, you have to grow up... and I have to let you.
People have often said to your mommy that she takes too many pictures. I say to them that I can't take enough. How many is too many anyway??? It's a little space taken up on a disk, but it is filled with memories that will last longer than my lifetime. When it's my time to leave you, until we meet again, I want to leave you with the best memories of your lives, both in your memories and in pictures.
I hope when you get older and you look back at all the times I made you sit still, wear silly clothes, or dressed you up to look dashing, it's only because I love you. You both are tiny, precious versions of mommy and daddy. You have our eyes, our hair, our toes, fingernails, laughter, but best of all, our smiles.
That's why for as long as I can, I will continue to say, "Smile for Mommy, just one more time".
No comments:
Post a Comment