"Just for this afternoon, I will let you help me bake cookies, and I won't stand over you trying to fix them."
I am SO GUILTY of doing this. I'm infamous for standing over Shyla while we bake something in an effort to not have the kitchen get too messy. While I wasn't able to take on the task of having her help me bake cookies (as Jacob has developed quite the attachment issue), I did let her make her own PJ and J. I've let her do it before, but I'm always sticking my hands in trying to help and not let her make a mess. Today, other than holding the jelly jar because she said it was too heavy and invading her bubble of space to take pictures... I stayed out of the way. I just enjoyed the moment and let her make a mess. I congratulated her as she made progress and she was all too happy to eat the finished project. I tried really hard to let the smeared goo, crumbs on the floor, and a now very sticky jelly jar not bother me. It felt really good to just let her be her.
To all you moms out there... try this once in a while. I found it rather refreshing if only for a few minutes to enjoy my daughter througholy enjoying herself. It was over too fast though as her brother entered the picture. The image of her having F-U-N will stay with me forever!
2 comments:
this is such a great post. paul is really good at letting savannah do her thing, while he sits back. i on the other hand have a little harder time...i am always thinking how much quicker i could get whatever it is done without her help.
i love little reminders that make me want to be a better mommy.
I am guilty as well. Poor Andrew always comes in with his chair wanting to either watch or help, and I end up getting so frustrated. He's under foot or sticking his hands in everything. Maybe one day I'll show him how to make his own sandwich.
Post a Comment