Friday, July 4, 2008

4th Of July

This year Jake had to work the 4th of July parade with the Concord PD. He had to leave early in the morning and work all day.

My dad, Shyla, and I met up and went to the parade. We were lucky enough to find a spot on the side of the main stage so we had a decent seat for all the performances. The parade started off with emergency vehicles (To Serve and Protect) and then The National Anthem.

One of the groups in the parade was the Knights of Columbus. I don't know much about the organization, but I know that my grandfather was part of them and I wish he was still here so I could tell him that I am proud that he was a part of this organization. Here is some what I was able to find:

History

On Oct. 2, 1881, a small group of men met in the basement of St. Mary’s Church on Hillhouse Avenue in New Haven, Connecticut. Called together by their 29-year-old parish priest, Father Michael J. McGivney, these men formed a fraternal society that would one day become the world’s largest Catholic family fraternal service organization.

They sought strength in solidarity, and security through unity of purpose and devotion to a holy cause: they vowed to be defenders of their country, their families and their faith.

These men were bound together by the ideal of Christopher Columbus, the discoverer of the Americas, the one whose hand brought Christianity to the New World. Their efforts came to fruition with the incorporation of the Knights of Columbus on March 29, 1882.

They were Knights of Columbus.

There were going to be fireworks later on in the night but we decided this year Shyla was still too young to go. I don't know how she'd handle the noise, our concern was that while waiting we'd have to just run and chase her around. Shyla did get to see some fireworks in the backyard though. Some neighbors were shooting off the ones that shoot high in the air.

The dogs were scared as we expected. They spent all evening inside. Smokey was in the living room by the couch and Bandit was in the dining room until the table. Neither one moved AT ALL for several hours.

No comments: